Monday, July 7, 2008

Now let's hear from my brother




Since I got such a great response to my first blog entry, I thought it would be nice to hear from some of my family members. We each were touched by Nanny in our own way and she had a way of making us all feel special. What we do share, though, are the memories of her in the kitchen and all her wonderful creations. Here's a memory that my brother wanted to share.




"I have to say that one of my favorite food memories of my Nanny was from when I was in grammer school. I attended a Catholic school and every Wednesday we had a half day so that the public school children could use the school for Religious instruction. I used to race home because I knew that Nanny would be there with a pot of sauce and a plate of linguini waiting for me. I have to say that she cooked the best sauce. She used to make a whole pound and I used to eat most of it sharing the rest with my sisters and some friends if they were there.

I also remember Saturdays in the summer when she used to cook the flowers from a zucchini plant and make little fried cakes with sugar on it. There was never enough to go around and my family and I used to fight for the last one."

The zucchini blossoms were incredible! In fact, my mom has started making them the last couple of summers. It took her a couple of tries but she finally got the consistency just right! Later this summer when my mom makes them and teaches me, I'll post the recipe along with some pictures!















No comments: