Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pasta with Vodka Sauce

This is a recipe I've been making for years. I put this recipe together by combining what I thought was the best of a few recipes I found online and in my cookbooks. This recipe makes a ton and it's what I use when I'm cooking for a crowd. It can easily be halved or make it all and freeze half of it (before adding the cream).





Michele's Vodka Sauce


Ingredients:

2 onions, chopped
1 bunch scallions, chopped, (separate light and dark green parts)
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
¼ lb Prosciutto di Parma, sliced into strips
1 ¼ cup vodka
2 - 8 oz cans tomato paste
4 - 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 Qt heavy cream
Kosher salt
Black pepper

Directions:

In a large saucepan, sauté onions, garlic and light parts of scallions until soft on medium heat. Add Prosciutto and let cook for about one minute. Add vodka; turn up heat to medium high and cook until alcohol burns out about 4 minutes. Lower heat and add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes; stir. Add green parts of scallions, kosher salt and black pepper. Turn up heat until boiling, then lower heat. Let cook for 1 hour. Add cream; let simmer until starts bubbling and turn off heat.
        
This is enough sauce for about 4-5 lbs of pasta or more.
       
I forgot to take a picture after adding the cream.  I will update this post the next time I make it with that pic.





15 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe! I have never made vodka sauce but I love it and order it often when I go out to eat. This sounds like the perfect thing to try next time I'm having dinner guests!

Arlene Delloro said...

Although we never ate this growing up, I, too, like a good penne with vodka. Your sauce sounds delicious. I like to add some chicken or shrimp, too, so I get a little protein with my pasta (and hopefully eat less of it, lol).

justjoycee said...

Sounds delicious! I am have never made vodka sauce but your recipe looks so good I would love to try it.

Patti T. said...

Thanks for another GREAT recipe, I always order this when we go to our favorite Italian restaurant and absolutely love it. I have tried the jarred sauce and hated it, now I can make my own from a tried and true recipe.

Claudia said...

An absolute warming hearts and soul dish! Happy New year! May 2011 bring you all good things.

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Happy New Year ♥
Moltissimi Auguri
per uno splendido 2011

Peggy said...

I love Vodka sauce! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

whozyerdanny said...

Another great classic!

Pam said...

I have never made vodka sauce... this looks like something I need to try.

MIDWEST MAMA said...

Hey girl! Wanted to let you know that you have a Stylish Blog Award on my blog. I love to read you! Have a great weekend

Claudia said...

I love this - I've never put prosciutto in my vodka sauce - but like the salty addition. And it's really easy - which is a plus!

Unknown said...

Vodka is one alcohol I've never cooked with. This recipe sounds wonderful!

Tracy Hoerdemann said...

This looks fantastic and I need all the help I can get with cooking!

Tracy Hoerdemann said...

This looks fantastic! I cannot wait to try this recipe!

rnd said...

this sounded yummy, so am trying it tonight. would be a useful addition to note the size of the cans of tomatoes and paste!

thanks!