Thursday, July 7, 2011

Prosciutto and Fig Crostini



This is an incredibly easy appetizer that pleases everyone with the sweet and salty combination.  No recipe needed here.  Simply slice up a baguette on a diagonal (so you have a larger surface) drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and toast it.  You can do this on the grill, in a grill pan, in the oven or under the broiler, whatever method you prefer.  Spread some fig preserves on each slice and top with a thin slice of proscuitto di parma.  You can also use serrano ham in place of the prosciutto.

 Try this at your next dinner party and take the time saved in the kitchen to spend some time with your guests!

7 comments:

MrsJenB said...

Love it! Just the sort of easy and scrumptious appetizer I'd have to physically separate myself from or else I'd decimate the entire tray!

All Things Yummy said...

Yum, anything with prosciutto has to be delicious.

ARLENE said...

One of my very favorite combinations. I might want to add a hint of goat cheese, too.

Patti T. said...

I love salty and sweet also, this does look quick and delicious.

Marie Ohanesian Nardin said...

Yummy..and in the heart of the summer you can use fresh figs, too!

denise s said...

Michele,
I don't know what I like better figs and proscuitto or melon and proscuitto. I really like the addition of the bread to make it complete. BYW, where do you find ripe figs. ( I live in the Morristown area too)
Denises

Michele said...

Jen - You're not kidding! We all said the same thing when I put it out!

ATY - I couldn't agree with you more!

Arlene - I bet there are some other good cheeses that would go with this. I'll think about that. Goat cheese is the only one I don't like.


Patti - Thanks!

Marie - Yes that is very true! Can't wait for that!

Denise - I love melon and prosciutto as well! I have seen fresh ripe figs at Kings but not until the end of August/September. Feel free to email me. myitaliangrandmother@hotmail.com