Saturday, December 20, 2008

Butter Cookies

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I've been really slow at doing everything for Christmas this year. I still haven't finished shopping, I didn't send out any cards, I didn't get to make edible gifts like I thought I would BUT I did find the time to bake some Christmas Cookies with my sister, Danielle and her three beautiful children, Sofia, TJ and Emily. We had a rough start and had to make a couple of runs to the store to replace a broken hand mixer and a missing cookie press but alls well that ends well. We had a great time, the kids had fun decorating the cookies and eating them!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This recipe has been in my family for years. I'm not sure where my mother got the recipe from but it's been around for as long as I can remember. Usually we use a pastry cutter to mix the dough but we tried using a hand mixer and found that the cookies were much lighter and softer. I will definitely use a mixer from now on.

Butter Cookies


1 cup confectioners sugar
2 sticks butter
2 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla. In a seperate bowl mix flour and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to butter sugar mixture a little at a time until all the flour is incorporated.

If you would like add food coloring to a portion of the dough or all of the dough. We like to do different colors for different shapes so we mix the color in batches. Add dough to cookie press and follow directions to press cookies.

Decorate with sprinkles, chocolate chips or whatever you like.


Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cookie making is a great time with the little ones. They are adorable! The kids are cute too :)

Lucy..♥ said...

Your cookies look so good! And.... how cute are your nieces & nephew ;-)

Merry Christmas! ♥

vanillasugarblog said...

Awww! What cutie pies! I love those old family recipes.

Bob said...

Making cookies with kids is the best. We used to do that a lot when I was little. They look great!

OhioMom said...

I love butter cookies, the kids did a great job :)

Lisa said...

So cute!!

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look wonderful and your children are so CUTE!!!

Michele said...

Thanks everyone! It was a lot of fun!

Katie! Those are my sister's cute kids!

Sophie said...

Your sister's kids are so cute :), making butter cookies was a tasty idea. I hope you had a great Christmas, Michele :D.

Spryte said...

They are sooooo cute!!!!!!!!