Chicken Braciolettini with Mushroom and Wine Sauce
by Marguerite DiMino Buonopane
Serves 6 (If using small chicken cutlets like I did, you'll want to serve two per person)
6 large boneless chicken breasts
1 large garlic clove
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/4 pound shredded mozzarella or fontina cheese
1/4 bunch fresh parsley, chopped (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish)
6 thin slices prosciutto or ham
1 stick (1/2 cup butter)
1/4 cup oil
1 cup Madeira or Marsala wine
1/2 pound whole button mushrooms or thinly sliced large mushrooms
1. Have butcher pound the meat slightly to break the tendons, or use the flat side of a heavy meat cleaver to do so yourself.
2. Lay the flat pieces of chicken on a smooth clean surface. Using a garlic press, squeeze the garlic clove. With your fingertips, transwer these particles to the cutlet pieces. Sprinkle black pepper, grated cheese, shredded cheese, and parsley all over the chicken. Cover each breast with a slice of prosciutto or ham. Roll each breast jelly-roll style, carefully tucking in all loose ends. Secure with toothpicks (use the same number for each breast).
3. Heat the oil and the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and brown well all over. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven or until the chicken is cooked moist-tender.
4. To make sauce, drain the fat from the skillet and return unwashed pan to stove an medium heat, scraping all browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon.
5. Raise the heat to high and pour in the wine, stirring well. Add the mushrooms and cook 1 more minute, shaking skillet. If the sauce appears to thin, sprkinkle with some flour and cook, stirring well until reaches your desired thickness. If more sauce is desired, add some chicken broth and more wine.
6. Remove the chicken from the oven, carefully remove all toothpicks, and transfer to a warm serving platter. Pour the hot sauce on top. Sprinkle with the reserved tablespoon of chopped parsley. To serve cut meat in thick slices and coat with sauce and mushrooms.
Author's Note: If using small pieces of chicken breasts, it will not be necessary to bake the chicken. Simple cook in skillet as directed, transfer to a warm platter, and prepare sauce.
My Note: If using chicken cutlets, make sauce then add rolls back to sauce, toss to coat. Put cover on and allow to cook for approx 10 minutes (depending on thickness of chicken) to cook chicken through.
I didn't slice the chicken since they were small but served two over a bed of risotto topped with the mushroom sauce.