Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chicken Breasts with a Mustard Caper Pan Sauce


This dish (and others like it) is the reason why I have all clad pots.  To sear and to make pan sauces.  When I first started watching the food network I became obsessed with getting those little browned bits stuck to the pan so I could look and feel like a professional Chef when I deglazed the pan.  Seriously, it was like a little girl who plays house and dreams of what life will be like. Instead of dreaming about the house and the husband and the babies I dreamt of the kitchen and the deglazing and the sauces. I tried making a pan sauce in my mom's non stick pans and that only lead to disappointment. Luckily I have a mom who loves me and wants to make me happy so she bought me a set of all clad pans.  It truly is the gift that keeps on giving.  Thanks Mom!

Here is a simple dish that uses very few ingredients.  I actually coated the chicken in flour (before I had a clue that I was making that sauce) which was unnecessary.  So I am not going to put that step in the directions.  This is one of those made up as I go along recipes so I don't have exact ingredients.  Hopefully you'll be able to wing it.  :-) I made just enough for two but you can certainly make this for four or more.  If you want more sauce just add more chicken stock a little at a time and reduce it until it thickens and you have the amount of sauce you want.  You do not need a ton of sauce though because it is packed with flavor and a little goes a long way.




Chicken Breasts with a Mustard Caper Pan Sauce

Michele Brigante

Ingredients:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
approx 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 -2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 generous tablespoon of dijon mustard
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of capers
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper, to taste


Directions:

Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and the butter in a saute pan (stainless steel will work best) over medium heat. Saute chicken on both sides then remove to a plate.  If the pan is dry add a little more oil and the garlic. Do not let garlic burn or it will taste bitter (lower the gas if necessary).  Cook the garlic for a minute and add flour.  Allow flour to cook for 1 minute and stir.  Turn gas up again if you lowered it an add stock while stirring with wooden spoon or whisk.  Add mustard and capers and season with pepper.  Taste it before you add salt and adjust salt and mustard accordingly.  If you want your sauce to thicken reduce it further, or if you want more sauce add a little more stock and let it reduce.  Add parsley.  When your sauce is done add the chicken to the pan with and toss to coat.  Cover and let it cook for another 5-10 mins (depending on the thickness of your chicken) so chicken is cooked through. 

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.



11 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

That pan sauce sounds incredible. I love capers. And is that Israeli couscous on the side? Yum!

Sara said...

Looks so delicious, I love mustard and capers so this is a home run for sure.

Unknown said...

This is definately a recipe I will try. Only yesterday my daughter told me how much she loves capers! Yes, she has good taste buds for a teenager! So I know she will love this!

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Beautiful pan sauce! Absolutely LOVE it. Aren't non-nonstick pans da bomb? LOL

Patti T. said...

Michele I agree with you 100% about the pans. I only have one non=stick pan in my house, and it is to fry eggs in only! This dish looks absolutely divine. I recently gave my capers to my DIL who never heard of them, I need to get myself some more to make this. I just love mustard in the sauce for chicken one of my go to's.

Dionne said...

Dang! I love this sounds of this. And with capers?!!! MUST TRY!

Theresa said...

You make such great dishes!!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Yummy. This would be a nice relief from all the grilled dishes I'm eating this summer.

Amanda said...

Mmmmmm that sauce sounds amazing!

Patti T. said...

I made this dish and noticed that you never specified how much flour in your recipe. I just winged it, I will definitely be making this again. Hubby liked it but said I went to heavy with the pepper, and I did, I will have to be more careful next time. A different sauce, that I would probably have never come up with on my own, so thank you so much for another wonderful dish.

Michele said...

Thank you all for your great comments!

Patti - Thank you for pointing it out. I don't usually measure but use approx a tablespoon. I will edit the recipe. Thanks for letting me know!