Bacon Cheeseburger Bread
Ingredients:2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon butter
4-6 slices center cut bacon, cut into lardons
1 pound ground beef (I prefer chuck 85% lean)
1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt and ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup of white wine
1 tube refrigerated thin crust pizza dough, stretched out a bit
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat and add butter. When butter is melted add onions sugar, salt and pepper and saute over medium high heat. The onions will cook for about 30 minutes or so. When they stick and begin to brown add white wine. Continue to cook until onions are tender and golden in color.
3. Meanwhile in another pan heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add the meat to the pan and cook until golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic powder, chili powder and smoked paprika to the pan, season with salt and pepper. Add the mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce to the pot, bring up to a bubble and simmer until thickened, 4-5 minutes. Add reserved bacon. Let cool. Add a beaten egg.
4. Dust a clean surface with cornmeal and then roll out dough onto the work surface. Roll out the dough slightly so it's approximately 11x16".
5. Top the dough with the cooled meat mixture on the bottom third of the dough. Top that with the caramelized onions and cheese. Leave a one-inch border on each side. Fold all the borders in and pull top over to cover meat mixture. Pinch sides and if you have any holes just pinch them closed. Make a few cuts into the top of the dough so steam releases.
6. Brush the roll with egg wash and sprinkle it with sesame seeds. Transfer the roll to a baking sheet and bake until dough is evenly golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly. Slice and serve.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe.