Thursday, March 17, 2011

Artichoke and Cannellini Bean Crostini featuring Olivari Olive Oil

 
A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by a representative for Olivari Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  I was asked to try it out and post what I think here on my blog.  I want you all to know that if I receive something and try it and do not like it I will not post it here.  Same way I don't post recipes that I don't think turned out so well..it just seems pointless.  (I have not received any monetary compensation for this review just the product to try out.) I was sent a bottle of Olivari Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a garlic press.  This was really cool because I don't own a garlic press!  I really liked the bottle itself because it comes with a pour spout.  That makes it so much easier since I always pour my oil into pourable bottles.  When you put the cap back on the bottle the spout moves down so you can easily close the top.  The extra virgin olive oil was good and fruity and I have been cooking with it all week.  Here is a recipe that I thought would be great since it contains a lot of olive oil - sort of like a pesto.

The recipe comes from Giada and I really like it once it came together. I was a little put off at first because of the lack of color and texture.  It's actually my fault though.   I wish I had a bigger food processor because it would have been easier to keep this chunky like the recipe stated.  Since mine was too small the mixture had nowhere to go and completely pureed.  My only issue with that is the way it looks, I think it will look prettier if kept chunky.  Somehow I missed that this recipe called for basil and I only had frozen basil.  That didn't quite work in the food processor so I added some fresh parsley and a chopped tomato for some color and texture. I also added a clove of pressed garlic which was a great addition. The crispy prosciutto really helped the appearance and gave it a nice salty bite.  (I used parchment paper and didn't use the cooking spray and there was plenty of oil.)  My family gobbled these little crostini up very quickly and enjoyed every bite!



Artichoke and Cannellini Bean Crostini
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients:

Vegetable cooking spray
4 very thin slices prosciutto
1 baguette, sliced into 1 inch slices
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 (12-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano
1 clove of garlic, pressed
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
salt and pepper to taste, for sprinkling on the bread

Directions:

Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray (or use parchment paper to prevent sticking.)

Lay the prosciutto in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until crispy. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

On another baking sheet, arrange the bread slices in a single layer. Drizzle the bread with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.

In a food processor, combine the artichoke hearts, beans, cheese, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, 2 tsp salt, and pepper. Pulse until the mixture is chunky. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil. Pour into a bowl and mix in chopped parsley and tomato.  Spoon the artichoke mixture onto the crostini. Crumble the prosciutto and sprinkle on top. Drizzle with oil (if desired) and serve.

Note - This made at least 2 cups of the topping.  I used a whole baguette and still had plenty more left over for another day. 

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

Thank you to Oliveri Olive Oil for providing me with the oil to make this recipe!

Another way to enjoy the olive oil is to pour some in a small dipping bowl and add salt, pepper and a little crushed red pepper flake to it and use it for dipping your bread in (instead of butter).  It's delicious!

2 comments:

Claudia said...

I love the combination of flavors - those creamy beans with the slightly ytart artichokes and the herbs. Always looking for more bruchetta toppings. Adding the tomato and parsley for more color was a scrumptious idea.

Arlene Delloro said...

I never heard of this olive oil. What a yummy looking crostini.