Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Giada's Chicken Piccata

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is one of my go to weeknight meals because I usually have everything I need to make this already on hand. I usually serve this with roasted potatoes but since I'm trying to be more health conscious I decided to go with broccoli rabe and a baked sweet potato (sorry, no picture of the sweet potato). I used less than half the butter in the recipe and added a little more oil when the pan got dry. I know oil is still fattening but it's a better fat than butter, right? However, if I added all of the butter I would have had a nice sauce to dip bread in...sigh...I miss normal eating! One more thing, make it easy on yourself and use chicken cutlets if you have them and I'm sure you can have this done in 30 minutes.

This recipe can be found on the food network website or in Giada De Laurentiis' cookbook Everyday Italian.

Chicken Piccata

Ingredients:

2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped


Directions:

1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

2. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

3. Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

21 comments:

Spryte said...

That looks sooo yummy!!!

Lisa said...

I used to make Giada's chicken piccata alot when my husband and I were first living together. This makes me want to bring it back out of the vault!

My New 30 said...

Mmmmm looks delish - I love Chicken Piccata! And I love Giada too .. just don't understand how she stays so SKINNY!!! I totally loved her recent show on FN with her vacation in Italy - oh how I so want to go there...

Michele said...

Thanks guys!

My New 30 - I think it's all about the genes and she got good ones! LOL

Sophie said...

I love this stuff, looks delish :). I always feel like I'm being 'healthy' by using olive oil...but I end up still using so much :P that I think I defeat the purpose haha!

bensbaby116 said...

I love chicken piccata! Looks great.

Bob said...

I've been wanting to make chicken piccata forever, but my girlfriend won't eat capers. It sure looks good!

JerseyBites.com said...

I just posted my chicken piccata recipe not too long ago. I like it with sauted spinach over whole wheat spaghetti. I have never had it with potato. Definitely a great quick dinner.

Lucy said...

Chicken Piccata!!! Yummy!!!

Maryann said...

Hi Michele! I'm looking at that rabe! I love it, you see :)

Aggie said...

This is such a great go to recipe!! I have to make this soon! Giada is my favorite!

Judy said...

Giada has a lot of good recipes. I love chicken piccata but haven'g made it in a while. Your photos make me want to eat it right now.

Dawn said...

for the longest time I never had a pounder to pound my poultry and beef. finally got one and it makes making this dish so much easier. I love what the lemons do for this dish.

The Blonde Duck said...

That sounds delicious!

Judy said...

I've passed on two blogger awards to you. Go to my site (judyskitchen.blogspot) for info.

Susan said...

I love your blog- your recipes are all yummy. I grew up in Morris Plains...your blog feels like home!e

Proud Italian Cook said...

I see we were both in a piccata state of mind!. Chicken piccata, always a great classic, and yours looks just right. Nice side too!

Theresa said...

I just love this dish. Yum.

Culinary Alchemist said...

Looks absolutely delicious... Chicken Piccata is one of my favorite quick meals too...

Carolyn said...

Hello!My friend actually gave me the same recipe - I made once and loved it - it is going to be tonight's dinner as well! :-)

Amanda said...

I'm so happy I found your blog! My husband is itallian and I am always looking for new recipes to try. Everything here looks great!