Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pasta with Zucchini

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Eating more veggies is part of my new healthy food regimen (I refuse to call it a diet!) and sometimes when you are in a rush it's hard to do this. Pasta is always a go to weeknight meal for me and this is the perfect dish to make when you are short on time. You may be thinking that pasta is high in carbs, which it is BUT everything in moderation, I say. If I had to give up pasta I would be a very unhappy person. I can't even substitute it for whole wheat, it's just not the same. So if I have to use portion control to keep pasta in my diet and my life, that's what I will do!

I made about 3/4 of a pound of pasta so I could take this with me to work for lunch a few times. That's an improvement because I usually make a whole pound of pasta just for Steve and I. We don't eat it all but I definitely had more than one portion. Not this time! I used shells because they seem to "grow" as my mother would say and it makes a lot.

Pasta with Zucchini

Ingredients:

2 zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise and then sliced into half moons.
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 - 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 - 8 oz can delmonte tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock (if you are vegetarian use vegetable stock)
A handful of fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar, optional
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound medium shell pasta

Directions:

1. Saute garlic in a large saute pan for about one minute or so on medium heat to infuse the oil, do not let the garlic brown.

2. Add zucchini to the pan and let lightly brown. Turn and cook the other side.

3. Add tomatoes, sauce and stock, stir. Season with salt and pepper and stir, add basil and combine. Cover the pan halfway. Let cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. While sauce is cooking, cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Add to pan with sauce and combine.

Top with grated cheese if you like.

Enjoy!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

8 comments:

Spryte said...

YUM!!! I wish Jon liked more veggies.

Spryte said...

It would be really fun to cook together!!

What happened to the rice pudding? It's gone?

Bob said...

I'm not really a big zucchini fan, but that looks great! I would totally try it. :)

vanillasugarblog said...

I should add more veggies to our pasta meals. This does look good.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It looks delicious Michele! I love zucchini.

Proud Italian Cook said...

We love pasta and veggies too. I love the use of shells so all the sauce can get nicely stuck inside!

The Blonde Duck said...

This looks so simple and easy! Yum!

The Food Hunter said...

I love pasta and veggies. this one looks really good.