Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Flatbread Pizza


Hi! It's been a couple of weeks and I have a good reason for not posting. I've really been trying to cook healthier this month and nothing I made seemed to be blog worthy. Grilled chicken, brown rice, whole wheat blend pasta, pretty boring right? However, I think that this recipe for Flatbread Pizza is one worth sharing. In addition to all the wonderful cookbooks I got for Christmas, I won a cookbook from Bakespace. I didn't even realize that I entered a contest (it was that easy) and actually felt guilty about it since I won those tickets to see Julie and Julia along with Julia Child's cookbook, over the summer. Babette insisted that I won the book fair and square and sent it to me. ((By the way, Bakespace is having a cookbook a day giveaway this month on facebook.  You should become a fan and check it out.) The cookbook is called "The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great" by Pam Anderson. It was a perfect time for me to receive this "perfect" book so I started using it right away.

I've never made bread before since I have this fear of yeast, so I was really excited when I saw how easy it was to make flatbread which has only four ingredients, none of which are yeast. They came together very quickly and easily. I am not very experienced at rolling out dough so mine weren't exactly the 12 by 4 inch rectangle Ms. Anderson suggests but it was perfectly fine. We topped some with pizza sauce and part skim mozzarella, some with caramelized onions and prosciutto and added some sliced kalamata olives to both. I made this recipe twice (since it was so quick to make I could do that and when I realized that they were pretty small) so we were able to have different topping combos. My favorite was the caramelized onion and olives which were sweet and salty. These heated up very well in the oven the next day for lunch.






Quick Flatbread Dough

by Pam Anderson

Yield: 4 flatbreads

Ingredients:

1 cup bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup warm water, plus extra if necessary
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

1. Mix flour and salt in a food processor. Mix water and oil and pour over flour mixture; process to form a soft dough ball. If dough is too stiff (hard-clay texture), process in another tablespoon of warm water. Continue to process until dough is well kneaded, about 15 seconds.

2. With floured hands, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and cut into quarters. Working with one quarter at a time, roll dough out to about a 12-by-4-inch rectangle, dusting with flour and turning as necesary to keep it from sticking.

3. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Top with whatever toppings you like (Pam's cookbook gives a lot of great suggestions)and bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden.

Click here for a printable recipe of Flatbread Pizza.

16 comments:

Spryte said...

YUM!! Those look great!!!

matt74 said...

Those look awesome!..your grilled pizza has become the only way I make pizza anymore..thanks for another new twist.

Joanna said...

They do look great! I've been meaning to do a pizza lately! And I love me some Louie Prima :)

Delicious Dishings said...

Ooh... that dough sounds so easy! I would love the one with caramelized onions and prosciutto!

pTsaldari said...

Michele, I adore your presentation the blog is so welcoming and I just throughly enjoyed my visit. Shall return back again soon to take a bike of your foodie magic. Thank you for sharing.
Cheers, PT
You can visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

teresa said...

oh yummy! i love flatbread pizza, great recipe!

Unknown said...

That is great looking Pizza Flatbread!!

I love reading your recipes. They are so appealing.

Ian
WorldGroceries.co.uk

vanillasugarblog said...

I love these Michelle! One of my fav's to make when I want something hot and fast you know?

Anonymous said...

I like pizzas and I like it home made! This flatbread pizza looks delicious!
baby cribs

Mom on the Run said...

These look fantastic (as always).

I love winning cookbooks :)

Jen_from_NJ said...

Four ingredient flatbread - perfect! The carmelized onion and olive combination sounds yummy! I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!

Patti T. said...

They look fantastic, I make home made pizzas all the time, but with yeast in the crust. I will definitely give this flat bread kind a try. Sounds so much quicker!

Unknown said...

I have a couple of Pam Andersons books! Your flatbread looks great.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Oh Michele, that pizza looks fabulous!

Aggie said...

I have a fear of yeast too...but such a simple recipe! Those flatbreads are making my mouth water! :)

Keri said...

Fabulous recipe and great blog too. Glad to find you and follow too. Hey, I'm a poet! I do sandwiches on my blog, nothing serious, but lots of fun. I am now following you. Keri (a.k.a. Sam)