Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Roasted Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes


Last month when I roasted chicken breasts for Ina Garten's Chicken Salad, I told myself that I should use this method more often for more dishes. The chicken breasts were so incredibly moist and delicious and the seasoning was so simple, just salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Last night I decided to make the chicken again and make a sauce to go on top. After digging around my fridge and pantry I came up with an amazing sauce. I served the chicken on top of couscous and with a side of broccoli rabe. The sauce gave the couscous tons of flavor.  After cooking I removed the skin from the chicken because Steve won't eat it anyway and when he picks something out and puts it to the side it sort of makes me a little crazy (shhh!) so I took it off myself.  It doesn't look as pretty as it would with crispy brown skin but we do what we have to for the ones we love (and our sanity). 

Ingredients:

2 split chicken breasts, cleaned and trimmed of excess fat
1/2 pint of grape tomatoes
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil
1 small jar of marinated artichokes, drained
1 tablespoon capers
1 cube frozen Dorat basil (from Trader Joe's)
3 cloves garlic, cracked, skin removed
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
dry white wine
splash of white balsamic vinegar
chicken broth

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken on hide sided cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) and rub both sides with oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes. Add white wine and chicken broth to the pan. Not enough to cover the whole pan but enough to created a sauce with the drippings. Cook for 10 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through (depends on the size of the chicken breasts). Remove pan from the oven and remove the skin (unless you plan on eating the skin, then keep it on.)

2. In a cast iron skillet add grape tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, capers, garlic, drizzle of oil and splash of vinegar. Cook in the oven while the chicken is cooking. When you add wine and broth to the chicken also add some to the tomato artichoke mixture along with the basil. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.

3. If you chose to remove the skin or not you may want a little more color on the chicken or to crisp the skin. Remove chicken from the pan and nestle it into the tomato artichoke mixture and add whatever juice is in the pan. Put the skillet under the broiler until chicken reaches desired color or skin is crispy.

Serve chicken with tomato artichoke mixture spooned over it.




Enjoy!

Click here for a printable recipe of Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes.



15 comments:

Megan said...

Must be a tomato and artichoke week! I posted a bruschetta the other day, and I read about a tomato artichoke panzanella on another blog. Looks like a really tasty and creative dinner!

leo said...

This is a nice combination for me! Tomatoes and artichokes are both my favorites! I like this creative dish!
baby crib

Patti T. said...

Looks good Michelle, (I don't eat the skin either.) I was just looking at some artichoke hearts today, now I wish I would have bought them. Sigh.

Culinary Alchemist said...

MMMM Crispy Chicken Skin!!! Still looks absolutely delicious to me...

Joe Ambrosino said...

Ha Ha Ha! So funny Michele that you care if your husband picks something out of your creation. It drives me crazy when Neeta does that too!

justjoycee said...

Love the recipe and Louis Prima too.

Annalisa said...

Looks delicious!As for the difference between manicotti and cannelloni,they are almost the same thing,but maybe just the shape of manicotti is different,the filling changes from recipe to recipe!
Have a lovely day
Annalisa

Bob said...

Looks fantastic. You know, I haven't had artichokes since I was a kid. That's something I need to remedy.

All Things Yummy said...

That is my favorite way to make my chicken too. I love Ina..her recipes are always great.

Dionne said...

Dang.

I haven't had lunch yet, and this makes me want this exact thing right now. Yum!

Niki said...

I can't wait to make this!

Startup Wife said...

That looks SO good! Is it bad that it's nearly three a.m. and now I'm hungry??

Danielle said...

I know its not good for you but I love crispy brown chicken skin! your sauce sounds great. I need to get my mind set more on the tomato sauce side rather than the white cheesy sauce.

Paula said...

Looks and sounds delicious and although its not healthy I leave the skin on the chicken. Lots of lovely flavors combined in this dish, very tasty.
Wanda
http://www.only-cookware.com/

Christyrenee said...

This looks SO good!!! Def a must try ;)