Thursday, December 1, 2011

Aunt Maryann's Macaroni and Peas

I know, I know!  I've been getting facebook messages and emails asking for this recipe and I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to post it.  It's such a simple recipe so I hope you like it.  It's funny, I can remember the first time I had this.  I was complaining to my mom about the other version of macaroni and peas, the red sauce version.  Although I loved it I was getting bored and I tasted this at my Aunt Maryann's house who just so happened to live two doors away.  So my mom asked her how she made it and from then on it became one of those meals we enjoyed regularly.  Now that I'm living on my own I like to make both versions depending on my mood.  This recipe has a little more liquid than the red sauce version and just by adding some more chicken stock it can be prepared as a soup if you prefer. 




Macaroni and Peas (white version)

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cans leseur petite sweet peas
2 cups chicken stock
1 chicken bouillon cube, optional
1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4lb - 1 lb of small pasta such as ditalini
Pecorino Romano Cheese


Directions:

In a medium sauce pan sweat onions and Italian season in oil until onions are soft and tender.  Add pepper to taste.  Add peas with their liquid and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil.  Let simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.  If you prefer a stronger flavor dissolve one chicken bouillon cube into the stock.  Meanwhile bring a pot of salted water to a boil.  Add pasta and cook until al dente and drain.  Add ladle of pasta to a bowl and top with peas and stock and stir.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Don't add pasta to pot with peas or the pasta will become too soft if it sits.


Click here for a printable version of this recipe.


1 comment:

Amateur Cook said...

I must admit I am a big fan of red sauce meals. This white version seems a bit soupy for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I would love it! But would tend to make your mom's version more often.