Monday, December 19, 2011

Truffle Brownie Cups - Secret Recipe Club

This is my second month participating in The Secret Recipe Club and it's been so much fun! This month I was assigned our hostess Angie's Blog, Big Bear's Wife.  She has a really cool Visual Recipe Index which helped when it came to choosing the recipe.  They are all separated by category and you can see a photo right there in the listing.  There were so many recipes I wanted to try but there just isn't enough time in the month of December! The cannoli dip recipe looked amazing and I am definitely tucking that one away for future use.  I chose the recipe for Truffle Brownie Cups.  It sounded like chocolatey heaven!   Chocolate ganache inside a chocolate brownie cup is absolutely my idea of dessert!  These are the perfect size for a little midday snack...or two!

These little brownies are very simple to make and I think I would try them as regular brownies too because they are delicious!  I only got about 18 out of them so I'd suggest doubling the recipe because they will disappear quickly!  My only question to ask Angie is about the ganache.  I've never made it before and I'm not sure if it's supposed to harden and all.  I put it in the fridge for about an hour because it was still liquidy after 10 minutes.  I piped it through which made it easier but it was still too liquidy to hold the shape of the star tip.  Angie, I am an awful baker and I know it's just me! Got any tips for this baking challenged girl?

You've got to try these everyone, they are a deliciously chocolaty treat!

Truffle Brownie Cups
from Big Bears Wife


Ingredients:

1 2/3 cups chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter (do NOT substitute margarine)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream


Directions:

Preheat oven to 325.

Spray mini-muffin pan with non-stick spray.

Place 2/3 cup chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl with the butter. Microwave on high 40-60 seconds or until smooth, stirring after each 20 second interval.

Add sugar and egg, stir until smooth.

Add flour and stir until just incorporated. Using a small scoop divide batter evenly among the wells. Flatten the top to make smooth surface with the Mini-Tart Shaper.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are set (DO NOT over bake).


Meanwhile, pour cream into microwave safe bowl. Heat on HIGH for 1-2 minutes or until hot.

Add the rest of the chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Place bowl into freezer for 10-12 minutes or until mixture is cool and starting to thicken. This will be your chocolate ganache.

Once the ganache is thickened, scoop it out of the bowl into a Ziploc bag. I cut a hole in the corner of my baggie and added a star piping tip to give the ganache a little design.

Remove pan from oven; cool 2 minutes. Press tops of brownies with the Pampered Chef Mini- Tart Shaper to make a well. Cool in pan 3 minutes.

Once they are cooled, use your Ziploc baggie full of your chocolate ganache and pipe the ganache into each brownie well.

Be sure to check out Big Bear's Wife for all of her decorating ideas for this recipe!





8 comments:

Myvegfare said...

wow that must be so tasty, I made a truffle cake, it was so delicious, so I can imagine the taste of this!.., lovely SRC post, Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas...

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, what a yummy SRC post...and how fun to be matched up with Angie! Your brownie cups look wonderful :)

PS...new follower here!

Eliotseats said...

Thank goodness for Angie and all she does for SRC and our group! This is a great highlight of her blog and recipes. Wonderful choice.

Happy Holidays!

Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

Hey there!

I am so glad you picked these! I love making them!

For the chocolate ganache, it is suppose to be like the texture of icing. Not to hard but not liquid. I put mine in the freezer for about 10 or so minutes to harden just a bit

Lisa said...

Those look so fudgy and yummy.

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

Delish! Wish I had one right now. Glad to be part of SRC with you. Happy Holidays!!

Rhonda said...

did you say truffle and brownie in the same sentence? I'm all over it.

Cindy said...

Nothing better than a brownie with yummy chocolate filling! Great SRC pick.