Monday, December 12, 2011

Pasta with Roasted Eggplant, Zucchini and Onions

This past weekend I hosted my 3rd Annual Cookie Exchange.  It was so much fun as always!  I chose Fudge Puddles as my cookie this year because I loved them so much when I made them a few months ago.  Hopefully everyone who attended liked them too!

My party is always a brunch because I know how busy everyone is this time of year and I don't want anyone to feel like this is a hassle.  My goal is for this to be a lot of fun and I want people to want to come back year after year.  I'm happy to say that most people have come back each year!  My brunch menu was Hash Brown Potato pancakes (which I am renaming Red and Green Potato Pancakes - recipe coming soon) topped with a poached egg, Pumpkin Bread Pudding, Shot Glass Apple Parfaits (recipe coming this week), Spinach Quiche, Stromboli (coming soon), Buffalo Chicken Stromboli (coming soon) and Pasta with Roasted Eggplant, Zucchini and Onions.  I think the menu was very well received!  I've made the pasta dish before and this time I took a little bit of a short cut and instead of making my own garlic oil I tossed it with a bottled one we bought on Newbury Street in Boston.  I prefer it with the homemade garlic oil but the other worked in a pinch (I was running very late!).

My friend Rachel has her own blog and posted about the cookie exchange. I hope you'll check out her post!  Don't forget to leave her a comment and show her some love.  :-) The photo above was taken by her and her fancy new camera!

Michele’s Pasta with Roasted Vegetables

Ingredients:

1 large eggplant, cubed
3 small zucchini, cubed
1 large red onion, sliced into half moons
2 teaspoons dried of frozen basil (Dorat)
1 cup Extra Virgin Oil Olive, plus more for drizzling
10 cloves garlic, peeled and cracked
Crushed red pepper to taste
Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
2 lbs pasta, any short cut

Directions:

1.  Pre-heat oven to 375º

2.  Spread veggies over multiple baking sheets (do not over crowd), drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper. Toss to coat with oil.

3.  Roast in oven for approximately 20 minutes or until brown and tender, tossing once in between to prevent sticking and ensure even cooking.

4.  In a small pot; heat garlic, oil, crushed red pepper, basil and salt for about 10 – 15 minutes over medium-low heat.  This is to infuse garlic with oil – do not let the garlic brown.  Once cooled remove garlic and discard.

5.  Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente, drain.

6.  Toss with veggies and infused oil.  Sprinkle with Romano cheese and serve.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.