Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Can you pass the RIBS, please?

Photobucket

Happy Belated Father's Day everyone! I am so not good at posting those holiday recipes before the holiday. I really don't get how so many bloggers do it. I don't make the dishes until the day of so the photos aren't available until after. Do you have the recipe saved and then all you have to do is add the photo? Someone fill me in on the secret please!

If you're a regular reader (thank you, thank you, thank you!) then you know that I am part of a wonderful group of foodies over at bakespace.com. If you haven't heard of it I suggest you stop what you're doing (please come back later!) and go check it out. Bakespace is a place for foodies like you and me to swap recipes, store them in an online kitchen, get answers to your food related questions and most importantly for me, meet some awesome people! In fact, this weekend I am taking a drive to Pittsburgh along with my friend and fellow bakespacer, Carolyn. One of our lovely members Karen is kind enough to host a large group of us so we can all finally meet face to face. I have already been lucky enough to meet some of those that are close to me and have made some great frienships that will last a lifetime. I'm really excited to meet my online family who I speak to every day in the forums.

Thanks to some of my bakespace friends I learned how to make the perfect ribs. This is a no fail method and Steve and I have made it together two weekends in a row now. I'm sure some of you make your own sauce for the ribs but we have found this premade sauce which is so delicious that I'm not even going to bother with anything else. Steve's dad introduced me to it and I'm hooked. It's called "Bone Suckin' Sauce" Photobucket You can't get it at your average supermarket but more higher end ones do carry it. Click here to find it at a store near you. The sauce is gluten free and contains tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, honey, molasses, mustard, horseradish, lemon juice, onions, garlic, peppers, natural hickory smoke, natural spices and salt. Nope, no one is paying me for this plug, we just really like the sauce.

So this is a method not a recipe. There are no amounts so just use your judgement. We used baby back ribs the first time and regular ribs the second time. The baby backs are much leaner and take less time to cook, we like those the best. I also suggest buying the ribs already seperated. You may pay a few bucks more but it's worth it.

Boil your ribs in a mixture of beer, water, garlic powder, brown sugar, soy sauce, salt and pepper. If using baby backs boil for 1 hour, if using bigger fattier ribs boil for 1 1/2 hours. I used a large covered pot and had my flame on high until they came to a boil then lowered them to medium. When the ribs are cooked take them out of the water and put them in a single layer in a large pan. Cover with sauce and let marinate for about 30 minutes or longer. (I had them sitting in the sauce for a couple of hours.) Cook on grill for 2-3 minutes per side until they are lightly charred, basting each side with sauce as they cook. Since the ribs were already cooked when you put them in the marinade you can put them right back into the same pan that has the remaining sauce. Toss them in the sauce and serve. How easy is that?!?! I know some people cook them on low for 5-6 hours but I don't think that's necessary, seems like a huge waste of time for me.

The ribs were so tender that as soon as we bit into them they fell right off the bone. The flavor was delicious and they were a big hit at both of our Father's Day Celebrations. Give this method a shot and you won't be disappointed.


Photobucket

When we're busy I forget to take pictures but my brother came to the rescue!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD!

Photobucket

16 comments:

Megan said...

Hi Michele! Those ribs look great! I'm like you -- I can never get my posts up before the holiday actually happens. I make things for when I'm going to be serving/eating them, and I don't have pictures until then. I always hope maybe someone will stumble upon it the following year!

Dajana said...

I love the picture of you and your brother together. Both my brothers live far, one of them very, very far.
The ribs look awesome!

Culinary Alchemist said...

AWESOME! Thanks for the link, I am going to have to track some of that down for the 4th of July BBQ!!!

Michele said...

Dajana - Thanks! That's actually my boyfriend, Steve. lol My brother took all the pictures.

Megan- That's what I'm saying! Most things can be used for any day anyway so you never know, it may be useful before the year is up!

Shane - Have you ever heard of that sauce before? I hope you can get it by you!

zoe said...

Thanks for introducing me to that bbq sauce! I've been looking for a good one and now I know where to find it!

Dajana said...

beeep, beeep, you're cute just the same:)))

Michele said...

Zoe - Let me know if you find it and if you like it!

Dajana - That's okay! LOL Thanks for the compliment!

Bob said...

Heh, I never get holiday posts up before the holiday either. Course, I don't often do holiday posts...

The ribs look great! I've had BSS before, it's a good time.

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

I love Bone Suckin' Sauce. I've always been a bit afraid of ribs, though, in terms of getting them tender, and this recipe looks wonderful. It also looks like a great time was had by all!

Superchef said...

those are some delicious looking ribs!! Glad you had a great day with the family! :)

Cookie said...

OMG how I miss the Bone Suckin Sauce! It would taste good on cardboard I swear!

Theresa said...

Pass some ribs this way, please!!!

girlichef said...

mmmmm...finger lickin' good!! And a sweet post,too! I hope you guys have fun getting together :D

Danielle said...

awww....you two make such a cute couple! you're ribs look fantastic!! For a second I thought I could almost smell them, then I realized that a neighbor is bbq'ing right now and THATS what I was smelling!! LOL ya, major blonde moment but hey....its been a long day :)

Love all the pictures too.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Michele you are so cute and sucha great cook for someone so young!

Brian said...

hey michele you and steve look cute in your last pic... but not as cute as those RIBS!!! YUM.

do you have any indoor recipes for ribs? As you know I'm an apartment dwelling ny'er and do not have the luxury of an outdoor grill.

and seeing christine was fun... we should all try and get together