Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Eggplant Parmigiana

Photobucket


Eggplant Parmigiana is one of those things that I don't order out. I have encountered too many issues with this dish in restaurants and ended up not enjoying my meal. While I keep the skin on when I make my fried eggplant, I do not like the skin on it on this dish. It doesn't actually need it to stay together because it is breaded and if you do leave the skin on it could create a mess when chewing and trying to pull of the piece of skin that has gotten stuck in your teeth. Not fun. The other reason is that sometimes the eggplant is sliced too thick and is somewhat firm in the center. I like the eggplant layers to meld together and just melt in your mouth. That's how it was always made when I grew up and this is how I make it now. So, if you like melt in your mouth eggplant, you'll like this dish!

Again, I don't measure for this dish but if you've made chicken cutlets before it's the same thing.

Ingredients:

1 medium sized eggplant
3 eggs
splash of milk
romano cheese
salt and pepper
italian style breadcrumbs or plain breadcrumbs seasoned with parsley & garlic powder
canola oil, for frying
marinara sauce
16 oz mozzarella cheese, grated or sliced

Directions:

1. Peel eggplant and thinly slice about 1/4 inch thick.

2. Beat eggs and add a splash of milk, salt and pepper.

3. Season breadcrumbs (whichever you chose) and add romano cheese.

4. Dip eggplant slices (cover both sides) in egg mixture and then in breadcrumbs patting down with your hand to help crumbs adhere to the eggplant. Do this on both sides.

5. Using a large frying pan, brown eggplant slices on both sides in canola oil. Make sure your oil is very hot because eggplant sucks up oil like a sponge. Drain slices on a paper towel (don't forget to eat a piece when it's cooled, it's just as yummy plain!).

6. In a medium sized deep baking pan (I used my medium rectangular pyrex)ladle some marinara sauce to lightly cover the bottom. Add slices of eggplant slightly overlapping (if they are sliced thin you can do this). Add another layer of sauce, sprinkle of romano cheese and mozzarella. Don't put the mozzarella on too thick. Add another layer of eggplant and continue to layer the same way until all of your eggplant is used. The last layer should be mozzarella.

7. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Let eggplant settle for 5-10 minutes before slicing.


Photobucket

Photobucket

26 comments:

Spryte said...

DROOL!!!!!!!!

That looks so good!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theresa said...

This is a fav!! And yes, don't forget eat one when your frying, or two, three!!!

Lisa said...

Agreed on not ordering eggplant parmigiana out! It's never the same. Yours looks delish. Makes me want to make a batch for myself!

Carolyn said...

Steve's dad cuts his eggplant SUPER thin when making his eggplant parm...I think that makes it taste even more delish! I gotta try these though - YUMMY!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never tried it before!

vanillasugarblog said...

I'm with you, I never order this stuff out--they never ever make it right. I love mine. And now I love yours! LOL

Michele said...

Thanks guys! Glad you agree with my specifications! LOL

Miranda - You have to try it! Do you like eggplant? I'm glad you were able to post again!

chow and chatter said...

I love this dish will have to try at home now lol

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Michele - It's hard to resist a good eggplant parm and yours looks great.

teresa said...

I have never even bought an eggplant from the store, let alone cooked with one. Time to try it!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try this and ya know, never have. I will now though! (I always trust your tastes LOL) thanks for posting!

rosasdolcevita said...

Definitely one of my favourite dishes! I don't measure anything either when I make this or chicken parmesan. Definitely a keeper!!

Dajana said...

This is one of the three things (the only 3 things) that my MIL can make right, and that I learned from her how to make.
Totally agree about not ordering it out, as far as I can remember I liked it only once in a restaurant, even here in Italy.
You did a great job.

grace said...

i lurve eggplant parmigiana--it's my go-to dish at almost any italian restaurant. excellent batch, michele!

Michele said...

Thanks guys! For those of you who never bought an eggplant before check out the other eggplant recipes I have posted, fried sicilian eggplant and caponata. YUM!

Laura said...

Ummm, Michele would you marry me?

Delicious Dishings said...

I have the same problem. I am almost always disappointed with eggplant at restaurants. It's bitter or a pile of mush. I love making my own eggplant parm. Your recipe looks delicious!

And if you want a snack while cooking... I always mix the reminaing egg with breadcrumbs and fry up little bread crumb balls to munch on. They're also helpful for testing whether your oil is hot enough!

Michele said...

Megan I do that all the time when i make chicken cutlets!!!!! LOL They're the best!

Claudia said...

This is a blast from my bast., My mother and grandmother always made this. Often on Fridays. Do you salt the eggplant at all to help squeeze the moisture out? Gorgeous photos.

Michele said...

Thanks Claudia! I don't salt the eggplant for this dish but when I fry it without the breadcrumbs to put over pasta I do. Also for pasta norma and caponata. Check out my other posts!

Lola - You are too funny! Guess you like it?

Jen said...

I adore eggplant parmigiana and this looks like a lovely recipe!

One question - why fry the eggplant in canola oil rather than olive oil?

Michele said...

Hi Jen! Thanks for leaving a comment. To answer your question, I was always taught to fry in a light oil like canola. It has a very high smoke point which means it can get very hot before smoking and setting off your alarm and burning your food. Eggplant especially needs to be fried in very hot light oil such as canola because it is like a sponge. It will absorb all the oil immediately and turn into a greasy mess. Extra virgin olive oil is great to use when you are really going to taste it in a dish. This is why it's great for salads, for dipping bread, for pasta with garlic and oil. In all those things you are really going to taste the oil, you don't want to waste expensive EVOO on something that is fried and you won't even taste it. Hope that helps!

Jen said...

Michele - thanks so much for responding to my question AND for stopping by to make sure I saw your response.

I was wondering if it was the high heat factor for the canola. I wouldn't have used EVOO, but I might have used olive oil, which admittedly, I do for most things.

Again, this is simply a wonderful recipe!

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Michele, I totally agree with you. I never order it at a restaurant, cause I am always disappointed. I drooled so much I just shorted out my keyboard!!

Anonymous said...

The only restaurant I've ordered Eggplant Parmigiana at was Wolfgang Puck's Lupo in Vegas. The eggplant was peeled & cubed - the dish was so fabulous!

Yours looks so good and would make a perfect dinner.

Head over to my blog to pick up an award. :-)

MEGalomaniac said...

Love the layout for your blog! Its super cute and love your archive of recipes! I love, love, love Italian food. Will def give this eggplant parmigano recipe a try - sounds delish.

Check me out at www.meagan-megalomaniac.blogspot.com