Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pasta with Pesto

Photobucket


I used to be afraid of pesto. I'm not sure why but I didn't grow up eating it. I had it once at a friend's house for the first time. It was over pasta and there were pieces of potato in it. I really liked it. Then as usual I wouldn't order it out because what if it didn't taste the same. What if I only liked it that way because the particular person who made it did something so unique and special? Not really. The older I get the more I have gotten over my fear of eating new things. I wouldn't be much of a foodie if I didn't try new food, would I? The next time I had Pesto was when Steve's mom made it. I was definitely nervous but I was in the stage of my relationship where if Steve liked it I would just eat it because I didn't want to seem difficult or picky. Turned out that again I loved it! I made sure I got my hands on the recipe and this is what I've been using ever since. It comes from an out of print James Beard Cookbook that I can't get my hands on. (It has since been reprinted AND CHANGED in the new cookbook and the measurements don't work for us.) This is a great dish to make when it's too hot to turn on the oven or when you simply want to use some of that beautiful summer basil.

Here's the James Beard Recipe - Thank You Lyn for sharing this with me!

1 cup fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup parsley
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup pinoli nuts
½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese (I always use Locatelli Romano)
½ tsp. salt

Place all ingredients in a blender and whirl until a thick uniform paste is formed, add more oil if paste is too thick. This amount is enough for 1 lb pasta. Pesto may be stored in refrigerator for several weeks or in the freezer for several months. Place in a jar or container and coat with a thin layer of olive oil, cover tightly.

Note: You can use chicken broth to thin out the paste if you don’t want to add more oil.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

17 comments:

Mary said...

This pasta is very inviting !

Unknown said...

love love love pesto! looks yummy and perfect! are pinoli nuts the same as pine nuts?

Jen said...

I've loved pesto ever since my first taste of it on an NYC rooftop at age 7. This looks like the perfect recipe.

Delicious Dishings said...

I love pesto! I keep vowing to make my own, but I still haven't. I'll have to try this summer!

Lucy..♥ said...

Michele, Ooooh I must make this soon, well as soon as my basil is ready for picking, we love!... great post!

Unknown said...

Adoro la pasta con il pesto con una bella grattugiata di formaggio pecorino!! Buono !

Spryte said...

I love pesto!!

Susan @ SGCC said...

I love cooking with pesto. It's so versatile. Your pasta looks molto delicioso!

Bob said...

I hate it when they reprint a cookbook and change the recipes! Just make a new book if that's what you're going to do. Grumble.

Heh, but that looks great. Pesto is a good time.

Lisa said...

It's so funny that you say you were scared of it. I was too. I think because my mom never made it growing up either so the first time I had it was at a restaurant and it was bad pesto - way too salty and too oily. So I was hesitant to try it again. But I finally did and then I made my own and there really is nothing better! Yours looks delish!

Reeni said...

I didn't eat much pesto growing up, either, but I love it now! It's so delicious, especially with fresh basil right from my garden! YUM!

Zoe said...

mm fresh pesto..terrific!

Manju said...

love the regular basil pesto the best, eventhough i like the other variations!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

So many people I know don't like pesto because it is green! Go figure..lol
I love it! I put it on fish and and broiled veggies too!

teresa said...

I'm crazy about pesto! This looks awesome!

Dajana said...

Pasta with pesto and potatoes is typical for Genova. I like it a lot, but haven't tried making it myself yet.

amycaseycooks said...

I have 2 big bunches of basil - pesto making here I come. I just wish that we could have such big, beautiful basil all year long.