Monday, June 15, 2009

Farfalle with Chicken and Diced Tomatoes

 

Once again I find myself ready to cook dinner but without a plan. I had some chicken breasts in the fridge that I planned on seperating and marinating to put on the grill during the week. Key word there is planned. I wanted to do it, I really meant to but it didn't happen. As usual, I found myself looking inside my pantry to see what I could come up with. I know I keep telling you that you need to keep a well-stocked pantry but I haven't filled you in on exactly what I keep in mind. It's coming. I promise. In fact, I have the post all written up and waiting to be published. I just need to take a good picture. At some point next week the post will be up and I'm just giving you fair warning, it's a pretty long one.

Tonight I had chicken defrosted which isn't usually the case when I have to throw something together without a plan and it definitely came in handy. As always, you can substitute pretty much everything. Use whatever pasta you like, fresh tomatoes, diced tomatoes, petite diced, etc. You can change the peas and cannellini beans to artichoke hearts and mushrooms. The key here is use what YOU have in your pantry. Here's what I did.

Farfalle with Chicken and Diced Tomatoes

Ingredients:

1 lb farfalle pasta
1-14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 - 15 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed (I only used half of the can)
1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces (I used one large)
2 cubes Dorat frozen basil or a handful of fresh basil, torn into pieces
a handful of frozen peas
1/4 cup white wine
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, cracked (to flavor the oil and chicken)
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 cup part skim ricotta
salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil

1. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. In a medium saute pan (I use a "chicken fryer"). Saute chicken and cracked cloves of garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Remove chicken to a plate and discard garlic.

2. In same pan add diced onions and sliced garlic and saute until onions are translucent but do not let the garlic burn. Add white wine to deglaze pan while using a wooden spoon to pick up anything the chicken left behind.

3. Add diced tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper and then cover. Let the sauce simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the raw tomato taste is gone.

4. Add beans, peas and cooked chicken with any accumulated juices, until heated through (about 5 minutes).

5. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water. When pasta is al dente toss with sauce adding a little pasta water if the sauce is too thick or needs to be stretched. At this time add ricotta to hot pasta and sauce and stir to combine.

 

Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks really good! tomatoes and pasta are perfect pantry meal starters! :)

chow and chatter said...

looks good love pasta

Delicious Dishings said...

It looks like this unplanned meal came together amazingly. Looks delicious!!

Spryte said...

YUM!

Patti T. said...

I love what you came up with! It looks so pretty and I sure wish I could take a bite through the screen. Yummy!

The Caped Tirader said...

I really have to stop reading your recipes while I'm at work. I'm always left starving and drooling on my keyboard. The I.T. guys aren't gonna like this... :OP

Great quick recipes! :)

Shane T. Wingerd said...

It looks absolutely delicious, Michele... And you used my favorite Pasta shape...:)

Heather S-G said...

I thought I spotted some beans in t here...this is like heaven! I love spontaneous dishes (which always seem to include pasta...at least in mine)...so comforting :D

Bob said...

Looks great! I love it when things just come together. :)

teresa said...

That is some YUMMY looking pasta! I love the addition of the beans!

Anonymous said...

Mmm..I LOVE farfalle and I love peas in my pasta. Looks like a big winner for me!

Pam said...

I love meals like this - simple and delicious.

Aspen Real Life said...

Hi Michele,

You are inspiring me to get off my unmotivated ass and get back into the kitchen.

All this writing has taken away my other creative skills.

No more mac & cheese...ok, I don't really make that...all the time...Glad to have found you!

Unknown said...

You can never go wrong with pasta. This looks really good. :)

Stacey Snacks said...

The best meals are made with no plans!

Anonymous said...

Looks really simple and delicious and nutritious! I do love a good plate of pasta!