Thursday, August 28, 2008

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No, this isn't a figment of your imagination. I seriously baked and I think I did it well. It's a miracle. I usually mess things up when I bake so on the rare occasion I do it and the even rarer occasion that it works out, I'm really excited and pleasantly surprised.

This recipe came from my Mom. She got it about 10 years ago from a woman she used to work with. It's a great way to use up overripe bananas. The recipe is for Banana Bread but the recipe can also be used for muffins with only one adjustment, baking time. The recipe is very versatile and you can add in whatever you like, walnuts, pecans, peanut butter, whatever your little heart desires. Mine desired chocolate chips...and walnuts...but the boss doesn't like nuts so...there you go.

I do have a question for all my baker friends that I think (hope) are reading my blog. When I took my muffins out of the oven they were nice and....perky (for lack of a better word). I left them there on top of the stove for 5-10 minutes and when I came back they flattened on top. What gives? Did I need to remove them from the tins and have them cool on a rack? I'm telling you, I'm not good at this (with the exception of 7 layer cookies at Christmas!). I thought I'd share a picture and post this anyway because even if they don't look right they tasted sooooooooo good!

Thanks Mom!!!

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
¾ cup or 3 ripe bananas mashed
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup walnuts or chocolate chips, optional

Directions:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and add bananas and nuts last.

Bake for 50 minutes at 350˚.

If making muffins bake for 25 minutes. Yields 12 muffins.

No comments: