Friday, August 22, 2008

Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I know, I know, I've been a bad girl. I haven't posted a recipe in weeks! I've been pretty busy with parties and showers and all kinds of things going on. All happy celebrations so I don't mind it. With all the craziness that went on I did remember to snap a photo so I could blog about this wonderful dish. I made this for Steve's Aunt's Baby Shower last week and everyone liked it which makes me very happy!

Before I go on to post this recipe I just want to say Congratulations Melissa and Salvatore and Congratulations to Dana and Lenny!!! Both couples will be parents for the very first time!!!

Okay so here goes...it's really very easy and you can add as much or as little garlic as you like or even use hot sausage or a mixture of sweet and hot. This recipe was written to feed a crowd but you can certainly make this for one pound of pasta and use only one bunch of broccoli rabe and half the amount of sausage. I hope you like it! I'd love to hear your variation on this very popular dish so feel free to comment!

Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

Ingredients:

1 lb sweet Italian sausage (6 links)
2 bunches, broccoli rabe
4-5 cloves garlic
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Crushed red pepper, to taste
Salt and peppr
Romano cheese, to taste
2 lbs pasta

Directions:

1. Remove stems from broccoli rabe and discard. Cut into bite sized pieces.
Boil broccoli rabe in a large pot of salted water for about 8-10 minutes. Drain (reserve 2 cups of water) and put into an ice cold water bath to stop the cooking process and set aside.


2. While broccoli rabe is cooking, remove sausage from casing and crumble. Saute sausage in oil with garlic and red pepper, constantly breaking it up. Once sausage is cooked add in broccoli rabe and toss to coat with oil. Let it cook together with a few minutes so the broccoli rabe picks up the flavors. At this point you can refrigerate overnight or until ready to cook the pasta.

3. Boil pasta (chose one that won’t fall apart such as orrechiette, cellantani, cavatappi, etc.) in salted water while reheating sausage and broccoli rabe mixture. Add some reserved water from the broccoli rabe to moisten the mixture. Add cooked pasta and toss while continuing to add more water as needed. It shouldn’t be soupy but should not be dry. Toss with cheese and a little more extra virgin olive oil.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

A.C. said...

I can absolutely never find this stuff! I don't know what the heck the deal is...
oh, and btw, I've realized I had an account on bakespace already haha... got an email from them the other day.

Michele said...

Corrinne, what can't you find the broccoli rabe? I tought it was pretty common everywhere these days! Oh and bakespace...are you coming to chat with us on the forums or what??? :-)

Lucy..♥ said...

Michele, that's an absolutely favorite way I love broccoli rabe!! In fact I could have rabe any which way ;-)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love broccoli rob and sausage with pasta. Looks so good!

Sophie said...

Yes, I've missed you! I looove sausage! Is there a particular brand that you recommend?