Sunday, August 31, 2008

Passion Bars

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Don't worry, this isn't turning into a baking blog, this hardly counts as baking. When I was a teenager I knew I wanted to learn more about cooking and baking. I wanted to try to bake something that wasn't out of the box. I believe this recipe came from one of the baking cookbooks my sister bought me for my birthday. As time passed and my baked goods weren't as good as my cooking I gave up trying to bake anything difficult. Recently I remembered this recipe and how easy they were to make. I looked through every cookbook I had and couldn't find it. So of course, I reached out to my friends at bakespace. Within 5 minutes Cathy of Minnesota came back with three possible candidates. The last one was it! It was called Passion Bars which didn't sound familiar to me but call it whatever you want...this IS the exact recipe! I couldn't wait any longer so last night I made these bars.

Looks like she got the recipe from All recipes, posted by Sue Case. Here goes...

Passion Bars

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

2.In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda. Cut in the butter to form a crumbly mixture. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the crumbs, and pat the rest evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. In a medium bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter. Spread evenly over the oatmeal layer. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the peanut butter layer, then crumble the reserved crust over the top.

3.Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

Thanks so much Cathy! This just proves how wonderful bakespace.com really is!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I love this picture because you can see each layer.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

Yea, you got it ;-)

Those bars look so good, pass one this way ;-)

Sophie said...

These sound really yummy :)! What a fun recipe, I like all the different ingredients!

Nelly said...

mmmm, they sound yummy, may have to try them!

Corinne said...

Mmm, any combo of peanut butter, oats, and chocolate sounds good to me! These look like a fun camping/hiking treat to carry along.