Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Grilled Watermelon Salad


Sounds strange doesn't it? Well, it is strange but cool and refreshing. This isn't something I'll have on a regular basis because it's well....odd...but it was interesting enough to make for company and it provoked discussion and interest. In the future I would let the watermelon cool a little bit before placing it over the arugula but that's my preference. One of my guests said she liked it warm because it melted the feta a bit. I lighly dressed this salad with extra virgin olive oil and a splah of balsamic vinegar. It doesn't need much. You make want to make the balasamic reduction, I made it but didn't like it, so I didn't serve it. Whatever you decide is fine with me just give it a try and you'll be sure to get some ooohs and aaahs.


Grilled Watermelon Salad
Courtesy of Claire Robinson

Ingredients:

1/2 (5-pound) seedless watermelon
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt (specialty salt is great here, if on hand)
2 cups fresh baby arugula, washed and dried
1 cup goat cheese, crumbled, preferably a French Chevre
Fresh finely cracked black pepper

Directions:

Stand the watermelon half cut side down on a cutting board and slice away the rind, leaving a solid block of melon. Turn the block on its side and cut it into 8 squares, roughly 3 by 3 inches and 1-inch thick.

Pour the vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to a thick syrup consistency. Set aside.

Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle just enough olive oil over watermelon slices to thinly coat and place on hot grill pan. Grill each side about 2 minutes until grill marks appear; transfer to a plate and season with salt.

To assemble the salads, put about 1/4 cup of baby arugula on a serving plate, followed by a grilled slice of watermelon in the center, and top with a tablespoon of crumbled cheese and another 1/4 cup arugula. Add another watermelon slice and another tablespoon of cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Finish each salad with a very light drizzle of olive oil and balsamic syrup. Dust with black pepper and serve immediately.


10 comments:

justjoycee said...

Wow, something else I can throw on the grill...

Jamie said...

Hmmm, so many people are grilling fruit for their summer salads. I love watermelon and I think this could be pretty good!

Shane T. Wingerd said...

WOW! I never would have thought about grilling watermelon... Fantastic! I am going to have to try this...

Unknown said...

You could've entered this in the challenge last month in BS...we (well, I didn't get around to it) grilled fruit! How did the grilling change the taste of the watermelon?

Delicious Dishings said...

So perfect for a hot summer day!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I still haven't tried watermelon salad but your grilling adds a whole new twist. perfect for summer.

Rachel said...

That is really neat/interesting - Never would have imagined that one but it sounds pretty good!

Denise said...

Never thought of grilling watermelon, but I have had watermelon in salad before and it is so refreshing.

Patti T. said...

This sounds so good, everybody thinks I am weird but I have always eaten salt on my watermelon. I am thinking that I would love this.

Spryte said...

Hmmm... I don't know if I can wrap my head around grilled watermelon...