Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Grilled Lemon Chicken and Crazy Brown Rice

Photobucket


If you're looking for something quick, easy and tasty for a weeknight meal look no further. Serve with a salad and you have a very tasty, healthy meal. Chicken cutlets cook up very quickly but you could also use chicken breasts and they will cook up pretty fast as well. My chicken cutlets were pretty small so I didn't need to use a lot of liquid. If you use breasts you may want to increase the amount of lemon juice.

Crazy Brown Rice...weird name, isn't it? That's the nice version of what Steve suggested I call it. Oh, he liked it, don't worry he just felt like busting my chops! The brown rice is something new that I bought from Trader Joe's. The rice comes in a box with three packages of two servings each. There are two ways to cook it, microwaved in the bag it comes in (like those veggies in a steamer bag)or in a pot on the stove top. I cooked it on the stove for about 10 minutes. If you have another brand of brown rice feel free to use it. You can use white rice as well. I was trying to be healthy and get Steve to try something new.

So here you have it. Grilled Lemon Chicken with Crazy Brown Rice. Delicious!


Grilled Lemon Chicken

Ingredients:

1 package thin sliced chicken cutlets
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Table Blend
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Combine, lemon juice and zest, garlic, parsley, olive oil, Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper in a bowl, add chicken and allow each piece to get coated with mixture. Let chicken marinate for one hour.

Heat grill pan and drizzle with a little oil or cooking spray. Cook chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through.



Crazy Brown Rice

Ingredients:

1 package of Trader Joe's frozen brown rice (2 serving package)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 zucchini or 1 small baby zucchini
2 campari tomatoes, chopped
approx. 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
a splash of dry white wine
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup parsely, chopped


Directions:

Cook Rice according to package directions. While rice is cooking saute onions and garlic in oil. Add

Meanwhile, saute onions, peppers and garlic in olive oil. Once softened add zucchini and let cook for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and let them cook down, about 3-4 minutes, add wine and reduce, season with salt, pepper and parsley. Add cooked brown rice and toss with veggie mixture. Add more oil if it seems dry. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the rice before I arranged it on the plate. I really thought I did but the picture is nowhere to be found so I guess I didn't. Sorry!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

12 comments:

Chef Chuck said...

That Chicken looks good, the lemon with, makes me hungry! O "Ya" the rice, Yumm!!

Theresa said...

I like that!

Bob said...

Looks good, lemon chicken is the bomb. I do want to know what the unclean version of the rices name is though. :)

Theresa said...

Michele, just wanted to say thank you. Made this for dinner tonight with just a few adjustments and used what I had on hand. Didn't have Mrs. Dash or tomotoes. Still came out delish. The hubby and I enjoyed!!

vanillasugarblog said...

I just love brown rice. And it's so much better for you. Well, this does look good, definitely something that would get devoured in our house.

Michele said...

Theresa - Thank YOU! I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is definitely one of those recipes where you don't need to follow everything exactly. I only happened to have the peppers because I saved the tops of them when I made my stuffed peppers.

Dawn - I never wanted to eat brown rice, I thought it would be bland but lately I've been really into it, especially when we order Chinese food.

Bob- I'll let you know!

Thanks Chef!

Sophie said...

This looks like such a fresh and flavorful meal! You've really been cookin' up a tasty storm-and I saw you mentioned something about enchiladas on facebook, now I'm craving 'em :P.

Angela said...

Thanks for the recipes. I'm always exciting to find recipes that don't have anything in them that I'm alleric to.

Stefany said...

I am totally saving this for the coming weeks. It's about the time of year when my husband only eats food that comes off the grill. I struggle with having enough new grill recipes to try... thanks!

Anonymous said...

I really liked this recipe when I tried it the other night. I posted about it (and your blog) on my blog: http://thefrenchkitchen.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/grilled-chicken-with-crazy-rice-part-1/

http://thefrenchkitchen.wordpress.com/2009/04/30/grilled-chicken-and-crazy-rice-part-2/

Michele said...

Thank you soo much!

Stefany said...

Well it took me three years, but I finally made this. I should have made it sooner! We loved the chicken!