Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Oreo Truffles

Photobucket

As you all know I had my wisdom teeth extracted last week. I had a great experience thanks to Dr. Pirozzi, Dr. Ernst and the wonderful staff at The Center for Oral Surgery in Montville, NJ. Their smiling and welcoming faces made me comfortable from the moment I stepped through the door. I don't know about your experiences but I never seem to come in contact with many friendly faces at the offices I have been to. Usually they don't even look up from their work, speak in a monotone voice and have miserable looks on their faces. That is not the way this group is at all. They gladly answered all my questions (and I had many) and made me comfortable. This made a huge impression on me and I wanted to show them my appreciation. Since I was going to the office for my post-op appointment I decided to make them some oreo truffles. These fabulous little chocolate candies have been circulating bakespace and most food blogs for months. I'm pretty sure everyone has tried making them once. They are so easy and are very pretty. You can get creative by drizzling some white chocolate on top, topping them with colored sprinkles or other candies. It's completely up to you.

So here's a big THANK YOU to my new friends! Hope you all enjoyed the truffles!


Oreo Truffles

Ingredients:

1 pkg. (1 lb. 2 oz.) OREO Cookies, finely crushed, divided
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
2 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER'S Semi-sweet chocolate, melted


Directions:

MIX 3 cups of the cookie crumbs and the cream cheese until well blended. Shape into 42 (1-inch) balls.

DIP balls in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover melted chocolate can be stored in tightly covered container at room temperature and saved for another use.) Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs.

REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm. Store any leftover truffles in tightly covered container in refrigerator.


Here are some tips:

1 - If you use the entire package of oreos you will have leftover oreo crumbs, save these in a ziplock bag and use them to top ice-cream or to top cupcakes.

2 - Refrigerate oreo balls before dipping them in chocolate so they stay nice and firm.

3 - You will have a lot of chocolate leftover. Don't be tempted to make these the next time with less chocolate (I did) because it makes it difficult to cover with chocolate.


Photobucket

15 comments:

Unknown said...

omg...these things are AWESOME!!

Bob said...

I've been wanting those since I first saw them on BS. But if I made them, I would eat them all. And I'm trying to lose weight... well, sort of. Heh. They do look awesome...

I'm lucky with the dentist I go to, he and his staff are the best.

vanillasugarblog said...

oh goodness michelle those look deadly! and you brought them to a dentist office! LOL if I did that my dentist would scold me!

Michele said...

They really are delish. I know this is probably weird of me but I think I would like them even better if I dipped them in milk chocolate instead of semi sweet. I will try that next time! lol

Dawn - They said that since it's an Oral Surgeon's office and NOT a dentist it was absolutely okay! LOL

Claudia said...

Ouch - wisdom teeth. Ouch. But Ohhhh! Oreo truffles! Ohhh! My daughter's boyfriend makes them for her (and us) and they are always wonderful. Yours look gorgeous.

Lucy..♥ said...

I will need to try these myself, boy they're over the top!! Great, Michele!

Elizabeth said...

Those are my favorite. I made them for Christmas this year and I think my father-in-law ate at least 10 of them just in one afternoon!

Shane T. Wingerd said...

I agree with Bob, I have wanted to make them, but I know better... I would happily sit in a corner rocking back and forth, while eating them all... LOL They DO look delicious though...

Theresa said...

This is the first time I'm seeing these little gems. I can't wait to make these!

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Hey girl, these are on my todo list as well as Shane's foccacia bread. I'm very much interested in your 7 layer cookie!!! Need to try that too...
Carmen
Baking is my ZeN

Spryte said...

Yay!! Even though I don't like chocolate, I make these because everyone I know does! They disappear quickly and are so easy!

I usually grab extra stuff to dip into the extra chocolate... strawberries, bananas, marshmallows... people will eat almost anything dipped in chocolate!

teresa said...

Fantastic! This looks so good! I'm excited to check out your blog!

The Moon Muse said...

Yummy!!

I am glad I have a big mouth and have room to spare even with the wisdom teeth still in.

Hope you are feeling better!

Elenka said...

Those look FANtastic !! (Hey, I'm originally from Parsippany.....now in Maine.)

Leslie said...

lol..I think it is a hoot that you gave the dentist some yummy sugary treats!! LOL
I bet they gobbled them right up. I know I would!