Saturday, September 27, 2008

English Muffin Pizzas

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


So finally after all the times I have mentioned pizza in my blog I am finally posting about it! Friday night is pizza night (99% of the time) and it's usually ordered out. Our order is exactly the same each week, we get a black olive pie delivered from Saporito's Pizzeria in Denville. We love their pizza it's the best we found since we've moved here and believe me, we've tried a lot of places, but sometimes it's nice to make pizza yourself. So I didn't make the dough and maybe this is considered cheating but I did make my own sauce and it was definitely a very nice change.

If you don't toast the english muffins first or if your sauce is too hot, they will turn out soggy.

English Muffin Pizzas

Pizzas:

1 package of english muffins
1 package of shredded mozzarella
handful of grated cheese, we like locatelli romano

Sauce:

1 can 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp dried italian seasoning
salt and pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
fresh basil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp crushed red pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions:

Saute garlic, italian seasoning and crushed red pepper in oil. Add tomatoes, fresh basil, salt and pepper.

Let cook for 30-40 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.

Let sauce cool.

Open english muffins and place on a cookie sheet. Bake dry at 400 for about 10 minutes and tops are lightly browned and crisp.

Add sauce, sprinkle of cheese and mozzarella to each muffin. Bake until cheese melts and gets light brown.

Enjoy!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Steve Approves!

10 comments:

Bob said...

Looks good! English muffin pizzas rule. We used to do them when I was a kid because that was the only way everyone would get what they wanted on theirs. Heh.

Lucy..♥ said...

Those look so good and they hit the spot!!

Aggie said...

I love English Muffin pizzas! These look perfect!

vanillasugarblog said...

An old classic. I love these. Great to keep some in the freezer for last minute snacks or dinners.

Pravs said...

i am craving for a pizza seeing the pic now :)

Spryte said...

I totally missed this post! They look GREAT!!!

Sophie said...

My grandma used to make these for me when I was little. They are so good! I haven't had pizza in such a long time, that's gonna change soon! :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love these. They are something I always made as a kid.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I'm returning the link love ;)

Susan said...

I love pizza! Im so glad I found you and your blog- I live in Pa right now but I grew up in Morris Plains. I love your blog!
Your Italian Nonna is beautiful!