Thursday, September 11, 2008

Roasted Peppers

We're in an age where everything is simplified for us. We can do our banking online, go to a drive through for our morning coffee and go to school without leaving the comforts of our own homes. Technology is great, it makes our lives easier but in my opinion it also makes us lazy and dependant. I always loved hearing stories from Nanny about how she brought her laundry to the lake to do her washing or my father's stories about the different peddlers who strolled the streets selling their goods. This is a different age and there are many things that have become lost or forgotten. I know it's hard to resist the supermarkets temptations of pre-made meals and jarred sauces, I myself have been known to give in to the "fast and easy monster". Today I wanted to do things a little different and the result is well worth the time and effort. Next time you make a fresh antipasta platter think twice about opening that jar of roasted peppers. Try roasting them yourself! You'll love the fresh taste, I can guarantee it!

Roasted Peppers

It’s really quite easy to roast peppers. There are a few different methods but this is the one I like the best. I use red peppers because they are the sweetest.

Brush peppers with olive oil and put on a hot grill on medium heat.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Leave peppers alone, don’t fuss with them until they blister and begin to turn black in some areas. Turn and do the same until all four sides are roasted and blistered.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Put peppers in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Leave peppers alone to steam and the skins will loosen from the flesh. When they are cool enough to handle, peel off skin and discard.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Dress peppers with fresh garlic, basil, salt and extra virgin olive oil. There are no measurements for this. Use as much or as little as you like. Eat room temperature or cold.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I just posted a very similar post about roasted peppers on my blog a few weeks ago! Great post :) What a fun blog you have. GO ITALIAN GRANDMAS!

Lucy..♥ said...

Ooooh My, they look so good!!!

I just finished up the last of mine w/the chicken I recently posted.... tomorrow I'll be at the market and get me some to roast.

Proud Italian Cook said...

There is no comparison at all with these beauties, to the jarred peppers in the store! You just can't get flavor like this! Yummm!

Bob said...

Those look wicked good. I love roasted peppers, especially mixed into tomato sauce. When I do them I use the burner on my gas stove, so I can only do them one at a time.

grace said...

excellent how-to post! roasted red peppers add so much to so many dishes and i agree that store-bought just can't compare! :)

Nelly Elliott said...

awesome! did u use an outdoor grill? can u do the same in an indoor grill? can you make a pasta sauce with these? sorry so many questions! haha

Michele said...

Thanks everyone for your comments!!!

Nelly, I used an outdoor grill. If you don't have one put them directly on a gas burner. If you have an electric stove use your grill pan. Yes, you can add this to pasta sauce. You can make sausage and peppers with these. Put them in a sandwich. Lots of things!

Leslie said...

What a sweet way to give tribute to you Nanny!
Thank you soooo much for the visit to my blog. Stop back by anytime!

Aggie said...

There is nothing like roasting your own peppers! These look fantastic!

I wanted to tell you that I love your music! That song about Angelina is so cute and my dad used to play it at his pizzeria (and my mom's name is Angela aka Angelina as a young girl!) Love it!