Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lentil Soup

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Sorry that it's been so long since I've posted anything new. I've been having some trouble uploading my pictures through imageshack. I think the website was having some trouble but now it seems to be working.

So the fall is here! Yay! I've been looking forward to this season for weeks! Along with all the fun fall activities I look forward to making hearty soups and stews to warm our bellies. Lentil soup is one of my absolute favorites. I like it soupy and I also like it when it thickens up.

Take note of my pretty vietri dish!!! I fell in love with these dishes when I first saw them on Giada's food network show, Everyday Italian. They aren't cheap so I have started my collection with the pretty deep dishes that I used for this photo. I love it!

Michele’s Lentil Soup


Ingredients:

2 cans chicken broth
4 cups water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
1 onion diced
3 carrots, diced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
1 small potato diced
2 cloves garlic, cracked (optional)
1/2 – 8oz can Delmonte tomato sauce (can substitute with fresh tomatoes or diced)
½ bag lentils
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 bay leaves
* can use 6 cans chicken broth in place of water and bouillon cubes.

Saute onion, garlic, carrots and potato in oil for 2-3 minutes. Stir to prevent potato from sticking. (If using fresh or diced tomatoes, add now and let cook a few minutes so they soften.)

Add broth and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Add bay leaves and bouillon cubes if using. Let it cook a minute so the bouillon cubes dissolve. Add lentils and Delmonte and cover. Let cook for about 25-30 minutes or until tender. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed.

In a separate pot cook 1 pound of small pasta such as ditilini or broken up spaghetti.

Serve with pasta. (Do not mix pasta and soup in the pot b/c the pasta will absorb all the juice and it will be too thick, unless of course you like it that way!)

Bon Apetito!

Note - To make this vegetarian swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth.

7 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love lentil soups too! The best thing about this time of the year is making soup.

The vietri dish is lovely!

Lucy..♥ said...

Fall is in the air!! Just loving this soup... and the soups to come!!

Aggie said...

I love lentil soup, I was actually just thinking today that I have to make some soon!

Daziano said...

This looks so comforting!!!

joe@italyville.com said...

just like mom makes! Love your blog Michele... we're going to try to get our roasted red peppers done this weekend if the weather holds up. Buon weekend! Joe

A.C. said...

Yum! I love lentils and have been running low... I was going to get some lentils at the market yesterday, but i found yellow peas on sale... i have no idea what to do with them yet.. but i think i may have to go back for some lentils as well! :)

Marie Schiano said...

I made this last night... It was DELICIOUS!!!! I went back for more even though I wasn't hungry... As did Nick.. LOL