Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Potatoes and String Beans - A simple side dish

Photobucket

Don't you just love those little bags of baby potatoes? I've been seeing them more often lately, baby reds, baby yukon golds and a couple of weeks ago I bought a bag of mixed baby potatoes. If you recall I roasted those in the oven and they were fantastic. This time I had a bag of baby yukon golds, I just love their creamy texture. This is a dish that I've had many different ways growning up and a few years ago I began making them with vinegar. Steve and I love it but not everyone loves that tanginess. Since we weren't the only ones eating this I decided to keep it simple.


Ingredients:

1 bag of baby yukon gold potatoes
Fresh string beans ( I don't weigh them so not sure how much)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley
kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
extra virgin olive oil


Trim string beans and boil in salted water until tender but slightly crisp and in another pot boil potatoes whole in salted water until fork tender. Drain well and toss with garlic, parsley, oil, salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature, heck, I even like this cold.


14 comments:

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Michele, that looks so delicious I swear I can smell it through my computer screen. Just out of curiosity, how much vinegar do you use, and how do you use it in the recipe? I am pretty sure I would love it that way too. ;)

Michele said...

I didn't put the vinegar in this time but I will make it and let you know. I use red wine vinegar. I add a few splashes and taste it. When you add the vinegar it has to be eaten at room temperature. It's got a great kick like salt and vinegar potato chips! My ex's mom who was from Sicily taught me that.

Theresa said...

I like it, with or without vinegar :)

Bob said...

Those look awesome as is, but I love red wine vinegar with potatoes. I bet that makes it even better.

Donna-FFW said...

I love this recipe. Such a delicious combo of potatoes and string beans. I love baby yukon golds. I will have to try this. Thanks!

rosasdolcevita said...

I love the simplicity and combination of ingredients of this recipe! I usually make string beans with garlic but not the potatoes. Will have to try that.

I like vinegar on my potatoes as well. It's a Canadian thing to drizzle white vinegar on fries. Yum!

Giovanna said...

I love this dish ... simple , filling, beautiful : )

La Bella Cooks said...

This reminds me of having dinner at my grandmother's house. She would always put the green beans and potatoes together and put bacon on them which as a child, I absolutely hated. Now I would definitely eat this up!

Unknown said...

This looks delicious Michele!

Barbara GF said...

I love potatoes and string beans, Michele. A little pesto tossed in is a perfect combination, too!

Laura said...

I WISH I had your prowess in the kitchen. I suppose I'll just have to settle for my razor sharp wit. ;) I'm making this (minus the potatoes) tonight!

teresa said...

What a delicious side dish, and so pretty!

Leslie said...

simple and yummy

Cate said...

You can't go wrong with simple, especially when Yukon Golds are involved - yum!